- 1 stick unsalted butter, frozen whole
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces), plus additional for work surface
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (3 1/2 ounces), plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (about 7 1/2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375F if baking right away.
- Grate the whole stick of butter on a box grater, place grated butter back in freezer until needed. Also place blueberries in freezer until needed.
- Whisk together the skim milk and sour cream in a mixing cup and place in the fridge until needed.
- Combine all flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add frozen butter pieces and lemon zest and toss with your fingers to coat.
- Stir in the wet ingredients with a spatula until just combined.
- Dump on to floured counter and knead 6-8 times. Roll into a 12-inch square and fold, using a bench scraper, into thirds in one direction and then the other. Freeze for about 5 minutes.
- Place dough back onto floured surface and roll again into a 12-inch square. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over dough and press down to make sure blueberries stay put.
- Roll, carefully, from one end to the other and press into a 12-inch by 4-inch rectangle. Cut into 8-12 triangles, depending on desired serving size.
- At this point, you can freeze in freezer bags (on a flat surface to prevent them from sticking or misshapening) for up to 6 months.
- Brush the tops of each scone (fresh or frozen) with melted butter and sprinkle on a bit of sugar. Bake for 15-25 minutes until dark golden brown.
Please do not reproduce without permission
*Recipe courtesy of Cook’s Illustrated