The other day, I was just so done with broccoli. Not sure why, because it’s one of my favorite vegetables, but I just couldn’t eat it again. I wanted something like broccoli rabe or kale, but (1) I was cooking with a picky eater, and (2) my local grocery store (not Wegmans, I drive 20 extra minutes just for that wonderfulness) has a terrible produce section. My boyfriend suggested cauliflower, but I hate it… at least I thought I did (except when I made this cauliflower casserole with the Meal Makeover Moms). After exhausting the rest of the produce section, I settled on buying a sad, overpriced package of colorful cauliflower. I did some digging for recipes that sounded good and settled on roasted cauliflower tossed with some Parmesan cheese- simple, intuitive, and quick.
When it came out of the oven, it was perfectly golden-tinged, soft on the inside and crunchy on the edges. My boyfriend suggested a sprinkle of sugar before roasting, which increased the carmelization without actually adding any sweetness. The Parmesan added a savoriness that was missing from other cauliflower recipes I had tried, and spreading it out on a sheet tray prevented the cauliflower from retaining any waterlogged bits. I wish I had made more, because I would have eaten it all. Even my boyfriend said I could make this whenever, which is high praise for a vegetable, coming from him!
- 1 head cauliflower (or about 2 cups multicolored cauliflower)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt, pepper, onion salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice the cauliflower florets into flat pieces (see picture).
- Toss with olive oil, sugar, and seasonings and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan covered in parchment paper.
- Roast for about 25 minutes, until starting to turn golden on the edges.
- Add Parmesan and toss, spreading back out into a single layer.
- Roast another 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and edges are carmelized and crunchy.