The Olympics are here!! I can’t believe that I’ve been writing this blog for so long that this is my second Summer Olympics to celebrate (and my second Summer Olympics to make me want to stay home and do nothing but watch random sports). I was thinking of celebrating with a colorful smoothie bowl to represent the rings, but I was prepping breakfasts for work and I realized I had the perfect thing. A red, white, and blue yogurt parfait that any Team USA athlete would be proud to fuel up with.
This “recipe” is so simple that it’s almost shameful to devote a whole blog post to it, but I love the Olympics and I can’t help but celebrate! Also, this was the perfect thing to just grab and pack for breakfast at the office every morning- did I mention I landed my dream job after 7 months of job searching?!?
Since it’s summer, fresh berries are plentiful and cheap- a natural choice for a breakfast fruit. I also recently tried Cabot Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt (no, this isn’t a sponsored post, but I wish it were!) and it’s lovely. I don’t usually like sweetened yogurt, but this one has actual little vanilla bean seeds in it, which is reflected in the rich flavor. It also holds up nicely in little prepackaged parfaits since it is thicker than other yogurts.
For the granola, I’d usually make my own, but I was very short on time so I bought some. Rather than buying the very expensive, sugar-laden stuff, I usually buy a granola-based cereal. It’s much cheaper and generally lower calorie. I prepackaged this in a separate container to prevent it from getting soggy and to make sure I don’t eat too much!
This was the perfect little treat to start every morning this week with- enough sugar to give me energy and enough protein to keep me full until lunch. Go Team USA!!
- 5-1 cup Mason jars and 5-1 cup snack containers
- 4 cups Cabot Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt
- 1 pint blackberries, rinsed
- 15 strawberries, rinsed
- Granola or cereal
- Layer blackberries at the bottom of the Mason jars.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup yogurt into each jar.
- Slice strawberries into flat slices and layer about 2/3's of them on top of the yogurt.
- Layer the rest of the yogurt on top of the strawberries and top with the rest of the strawberries. Cap off each jar.
- In the snack containers, portion out 1 serving of the granola to eat with the parfait whenever!