Today was a really really long day at work– summer’s in full swing, and coming back from a beautiful but blazingly hot weekend to an empty baked good case meant a lot of work for me! For the last few hours of work, all I could think about was getting home and cooking a nice meal. I was getting a little shaky and was really craving some well-seasoned veggies and chicken (weird tastebuds), but I was also pretty darn tired. What to do? Pasta takes too long for nights like these (waiting for water to boil is painful!) and I don’t know if I’ve said this 35 times yet in this one post, but it’s so hot!!! So I took two of those nifty chicken breast/tender things out of the freezer ($6.99 at Trader Joe’s for about 20) and defrosted them under running water while I rummaged through the fridge to plan the rest of dinner. I took out a tiny zucchini and 3 small tomatoes. I also took out some garlic, balsamic, salt, garlic salt (love it), and olive oil, of course!
As soon as the chicken defrosted, I splashed the balsamic and oil in my cast iron pan over medium low heat, seasoned the chicken with a little salt and garlic salt, and placed it in. Then I minced the garlic and threw it in a saute pan with olive oil over high-ish heat, followed by the zucchini in slices. When the zucchini was brown on one side and the chicken was half done (about 3-4 minutes), I flipped the chicken and moved it to the edge of the pan, away from the center of the heat source, and added the tomatoes to the zucchini, diced. I did dishes while waiting for everything to cook through. Then I just dumped it all on a plate, finished the dishes, pour a glass of too-warm rose wine (also Trader Joe’s), and added some homemade whole wheat bread with olive oil and Romano for dipping. And the whole process took only 25 minutes! Perfect!
- 1 tsp balsamic
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced into sticks
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Heat balsamic and olive oil in a cast iron pan. When hot, season chicken with salt and pepper, place in pan, and sear for 4-6 minutes per side, or until internal temperature is 155F.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic in the olive oil in another pan. When garlic is softened, add zucchini and sear until browned on one side. Add tomatoes and saute until warmed through.
- Season vegetables and serve with chicken and a whole grain.