In the spirit of going on a day trip today, here’s a tip about eating out:
- Do not, under any circumstance, go to a restaurant you can go to elsewhere (i.e. Outback, Panera, McDonald’s [well, just don’t go there at all…], Dunkin’ Donuts).
- If you feel like it, do research online or in local bookstores to find places that sound up your alley.
- Ask locals where they like to eat! Clearly, the places that they eat at on a regular basis are going to be good.
- Stop at random places you pass. But before you order, check the sanitation rating. If it’s low, ignore rule #1.
- Look for small cafes- for some reason, they’re always awesome.
My roommate and I followed these rules in the outskirts of Boston last night and found a few gems. The outside of the cafe we ate dinner at was not promising (astro–turf?), but the inside was charming and the food, coffee, beer (at a cafe!), gelato, and the waiter-with-an-irish-accent were all great finds! I’ll definitely go back there next time I’m in that area.