…a.k.a you’ll never love another vegetable again. I made this recipe after a long day of working and running errands, when I just wanted something quick, healthy, and not-too-boring. I bought asparagus for my second try at making risotto with farro in hopes that some springy vegetables might work their magic. It was too late that night to make risotto, so I flipped through The Food Lab to find any decent recipes for sauteed or roasted asparagus. I didn’t find that, but I did find instructions on how to broil asparagus that sounded easy enough. It was served topped with Parmesan breadcrumbs, but since I had just purchased a Microplane and wanted any excuse to grate things, I decided to spice things up with a little garlic.
To quickly prepare asparagus, snap the end off of one stalk and then cut at an equivalent place on the rest of the stalks to remove the tough part of the stem.
Preheat the broiler and toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread on a sheet tray lined with foil (no clean-up!). Broil for about 4 minutes, or until charred, and then flip with tongs and broil for another 4 minutes until softened.
Meanwhile, heat up a little olive oil in a small pan. Grate or mince garlic and add to the and oil. Saute for a minute, until browned, and then dump in some whole wheat breadcrumbs (make your own for bonus points). Turn off the heat and toss with a bit of Parmesan.
Top the asparagus with the breadcrumbs and dissolve into its salty, crunchy, garlicky, and slightly bitter wonderfulness. I served the asparagus with a side of expertly prepared salmon and some lentils for a well-rounded and completely unboring meal rich in protein, fiber, omega-3s, and vitamin K, folate, copper, selenium, vitamin B2, vitamin C, and vitamin E, thanks to the asparagus.
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1-2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Preheat the broiler and toss asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread on a tinfoil-lined baking sheet.
- Broil for 4 minutes on each side, until browned and softened.
- Heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add breadcrumbs, toss to combine.
- Turn off the heat and add Parmesan and salt.
- Top asparagus with breadcrumbs.